In the year of 1956, the Lord directed
Bishop Benjamin F. Peterson, Sr. to the streets of South and West Philadelphia
to “Preach the Gospel”. Accompanying him
was his wife, Mother Estella Peterson, along with two of their sons. After a year of evangelizing, Bishop Peterson
was blessed to acquire a mission at 834 Bainbridge Street, In South
Philadelphia. It was here that many
souls were claimed for Christ, and the Greater Bible Way Temple congregation
later, in 1971, a former movie theater at the location of 5949-51 Spruce Street
was chosen to become the next site of worship for the Greater Bible Way
Family. Then, on May 5, 1984, mortgage
settlement was made for six properties located at 52 & Media
Street, Philadelphia, PA (Former St. Gregory’s Complex), which the saints would
call home. The Lord had provided the GBT
Family with a beautiful place of worship. In 1991, the Former Mayor
W. Wilson Goode re-named Media Street to Bible Way Street and the final mortgage
was paid off for the Philadelphia complex.
1994 Bishop Benjamin F. Peterson, Jr. was installed as the 2nd
Pastor of the Greater Bible Way Church.
Under his leadership programs for the community was established and
complex extended. In September 2000,
Bishop Peterson, Sr. was called from labor to reward. The vision continues and the people of God
continue to trust in the Lord and strengthen the foundation.